Monday, November 7, 2011

Ham and potato casserole.

This meal looks {and is} so simple, but it’s so good. It’s pretty common too, so you may already have this recipe in your box. My mom used to make this whenever she was asked to make the pre-game meal for my high school volleyball team, and it was always a huge hit. Became a regular request.

It’s made of simple ingredients

  • cubed ham {I buy the pre-cooked kind}
  • potatoes
  • cream of mushroom soup
  • cheddar cheese
  • butter
  • salt & pepper

And basically, it’s just all about layering. Potatoes, ham, some of the soup straight from the can, cheese, then do it all again. You can make it in a baking dish and bake it in the oven {as I did below}, or it also works well in the crock pot.

Peel & slice the potatoes thinly…

IMG_7268

Spread the potato slices out to cover the bottom of your greased dish…

IMG_7270

Then layer on your already cooked diced ham…

IMG_7271

Then I blob on some of the condensed cream of mushroom {or cream of chicken} soup and thrown in some cheddar cheese too…

IMG_7269

I also add little cubes of butter. Although this is optional, I’m sure the butter adds to the flavor…

IMG_7272

Once I do two or three layers of the potatoes/ham/cheese/soup/butter, then I finish off the can of condensed soup & pour about a half of the can filled with water over the entire mixture…

IMG_7273

I threw on some more cheese at the very end {cause Eugene loves his cheese.} Then ya just cover the dish & bake it at 350 degrees for about an hour, or however long it takes for the potatoes to become tender {check ‘em with a fork.}

IMG_7283

You’ll want to let it cool a little bit before you dig in because it gets super steamy.

IMG_7286

It’s a delicious, simple, comfort meal, perfect for a large family, potluck, or even just two people who want leftovers for lunch. ;)

IMG_7288

Eugene & I actually agree that, while we love it hot & fresh, we think it tastes best cold the next day! {Weird, I know.}

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...