Thursday, February 16, 2012

DIY colorful mobile, part 2.

Yesterday, I posted Part 1 of the steps I took to make my little one’s colorful mobile, so if you haven’t seen that post, go there first. I ended with sewing all the velum strips, so let’s start there.

 IMG_9473

Once I finished sewing the three sections, I taped them to the ceiling to see how it would look. Notice that the bottom few strips start to curl up…

IMG_9305

The solution for that issue is fishing weights. I bought these at Walmart for under $4. I also had the mug hooks {also from Walmart, I think} for another project.

IMG_9471

So I moved the three taped mobile pieces on the ceiling to the exact spot I wanted, right above the crib. I carefully took them down, but left the tape in place on the ceiling to give me a guide of where to hang the hooks. I drilled a pilot hole over the tape…

IMG_9475

Then, because I wanted to try to not use any anchors {but I knew the hooks would fall right out of the plaster} I tried some joint compound in the pilot holes. The mobiles are really lightweight, but I knew that even just the hooks would fall out of the plaster ceiling. My hope is that the joint compound would dry/harden around the hooks making them secure in the ceiling, without any threat of the mobile falling on our daughter. I’ve yet to test how strong they are because I just finished this project, but I’ll let you know if this doesn’t work.

IMG_9474

So this is the hole filled with wet joint compound…

 IMG_9476

And then I screwed the hooks into it {while it was still wet}, and left them alone for 24 hours to dry {according to the joint compound package instructions.}

IMG_9477

In the meantime, I carefully tied a small fishing weight onto the end of each of the three pieces. I tied a bajillion knots to make sure that the weight wouldn’t ever fall off.

IMG_9479

Then at the other end, I managed to tie similar sized loops to create a means to hang the mobiles. I made sure that the loop wasn’t just one layer of thread. You can see in the photo below that the loop is made of lots of layers of thread…

IMG_9489

And that’s it, folks. Once your hooks are solid and dry, you can hang ‘em up proudly…

IMG_9486

Here’s the full picture with the crib {bedding’s just temporary}. I love the lightness of the mobile…

IMG_9490

And here’s a close up of the ends with the weights. Pretty…

IMG_9497

And with more of the room, including the orange refinished changing table {post coming soon}…

IMG_9492

More close-ups…

IMG_9494

IMG_9498

And this is the fun view our little one will have. Love it!

IMG_9495

So there ya have it – the one project I knew I was going to do for the nursery, years before I was pregnant. I love the way it turned out, how inexpensive it was, and the relative ease of the project.

IMG_9498-horz

All the colors make me happy. Hopefully it will also make our little girl happy {and sleepy}! :)

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...