Monday, July 2, 2012

Ten things that are saving my sanity.

Lately, it’s the little things that have been keeping me from pulling my hair out/crying my eyes out. Here’s a post of the stuff that’s helped us rookie parents manage the last few weeks. Maybe it’ll be helpful for all my “expecting” friends. ;)

1. When the little one gets super upset – I’m talking no rocking, bobbing, or shhhh-ing can it fix upset – we just turn on our vacuum & like magic, she stops crying immediately. Now, to be fair, this isn’t a fool-proof plan because typically she’ll start crying once the vacuum is off, but it’s great to get her to calm down quickly. We’ll probably have to buy a new vacuum soon, but eh, it’s probably worth it.


source

2. Similar purpose to the vacuum, the little one likes the sound of running water. Works like a charm to calm her.


source

3. Keeping with the sounds theme, Eugene & I pretend we’re on vacation every night in an ocean front hotel room as we listen to the waves crash {and watch monkeys scroll over our ceiling! hah}. It’s a bit strange, but the little one’s been sleeping super well at night, so I’m not about to change the sound machine!

Homedics Sound Spa Lullaby Relaxation Machine.Opens in a new window
source

4. Speaking of sleeping, the little one does really well swaddled. She loves her hands by her face, so we just swaddle her with her hands up there & she’s a happy camper. We have two types of swaddles, and both are heaven-sent so far.

Halo Fleece Sleepsack- Cream.Opens in a new window
source

Summer Infant Swaddleme Purelove - Monkey Stripe.Opens in a new window
source

5. Oh, and we like this little rocking sleeper too. Pretty convenient because we can easily carry it from room to room.


source

6. I’ve washed more bottles, caps, nipples, SNS, syringe, & pump accessories in the last 2 1/2 weeks than I ever expected. We’ve had some feeding challenges, which has resulted in me trying pretty much every type of feeding imaginable, which has also resulted in lots and lots of sanitizing and cleaning. This bad boy has saved my sanity over & over again. Who knew I’d be loving a bottle brush!

Munchkin Bottle and Nipple Brush.Opens in a new window
source

7. Along with our feeding challenges came gas for the poor little one. These pediatrician-approved drops were clutch. Definitely stock your medicine cabinet with these if you’re expecting.

Infants’ MYLICON® Drops
source

8. This goes in the feeding category also. I won’t go into detail, but if you’re breastfeeding, this stuff’s a must {especially at the beginning.}

Lansinoh HPA Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers, 40 Grams
source

9. My friend passed on a link for DIY baby wipes & I love ‘em. In particular, I like that I know what is in them {just baby oil, baby wash, & water}, and  I like the size of the wipes…nice and small for my small little one.

photo

10. Lastly, who would have thought that the little one would be so content laying on the orange changing table! She loves looking out the window {I think.} Makes me happy that she enjoys it. :)

IMG_0649

I’m sure our list of helpful “things” will grow as we figure out this whole parenting gig, but for now these items seem to be doing the trick for us.

signature4

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you have a million and seven people giving you advice on nursing and what not, but something to know: Breastfeeding is hard and crazy-making and if it doesn't all work out immediately or ever, everything will still be just fine in the end. We had latch issues and (hence) supply issues and I ended up cobbling together a nutty system that involved nursing, then passing the baby off to my husband, who would top her off with a bottle of breast milk while I pumped. So each feeding took forever. I started supplementing with formula at 3 weeks, continued to pump, and we made it six months on 2/3 breast milk and 1/3 formula. (And from 4 months I was just pumping exclusively.) She's now healthy, thriving, fantastic. And my second child latched and breastfed like a champion and she nursed for a year. Friend of mine went to formula at 4 weeks and her toddler is wonderful. So every baby is different, every experience is unique, anything that works for you and the baby is the best solution, and don't let anyone make you feel guilty for any choices you make. And congrats on the baby! I recently found your blog and have been charmed by all of your lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...