Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wire fabric-wrapped letters.

I saw this craft on a blog I read and also on an Instagram feed I follow, but I couldn’t find a tutorial anywhere. I sat on the idea for a few months {I’ve been ridiculously/overwhelmingly busy lately}, but I finally had a reason to go out and buy the supplies. I decided to make a housewarming gift for a good friend from my life-group at church who is moving to Texas. She’s pictured below on the far left…this is at my baby shower a while back. {Wow, I forgot how low I carried!}

IMG_0517

“Joy” has been our theme for the last year and a half, so I thought it’d be a nice reminder of our time together…

image_5 (2)

I’m not sure if this is the best way to make them, but this seemed to work alright for my first try. Oh, and sorry about the blurry, poor-quality photos. I did this late at night and didn’t think to use my nice camera much. Here are my supplies…

image

I bought the galvanized wire at Walmart. I can’t remember the exact price, something like $3.80, definitely under 4 bucks. And I have tons left – lots more words to shape up. {I think “hope” will be my next project.} Other than the wire, I only used some pliers, leftover fabric {two were old button-up shirts of mine, and the other is a vintage sheet I bought at a thrift store.} Oh, and I used a hot glue gun too.

First, I shaped the wire into my word. It’s a good thing I learned cursive ;)

image

I didn’t really take photos from this point on, but it was a super simple process. I cut long strips of fabric about 1-1.5” wide and as long as the fabric allowed, for most of the strips this was probably around 20” long. To start each piece of fabric, I just put a little hot glue on the end of wire and pressed the fabric onto it.  I wanted to use different fabric for each letter, so I used the same method at the start of each letter. It would look cute to do the same fabric for the whole word too though.

image

For the fabric strips, you could either iron the edges of the fabric under if you wanted a clean look, or leave the fabric’s edges raw to go with the slightly frayed look. I folded it under some just as I wrapped, but there were some frays showing, and I was okay with that.

image

When I got to the end of the letter/word, I just hot glued the fabric down and cut away any excess. See, I told you it was a synch!

image

image_1 (2)

This was a really inexpensive craft that only took me about 20-30 minutes from start to finish.

image_4 (2)

It was surprisingly sturdy once the fabric was added. You could hang it on your wall, display it on a shelf, or just stick it on your desk.

image_5 (2)

EnJoy!

signature4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people reading my blog. If you don't mind, please put your name so I know who you are. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...